Carne asada tacos are delicious flank steak, Mexican-inspired street tacos! Just load up your tortilla with juicy steak bites, avocado, onion, cotija cheese, and fresh cilantro.
I think we’ve firmly established (through the numerous recipes on this website) that I’m a lover of Mexican food. For me, Mexican food is all about fresh ingredients, bold flavor and simple spices. It’s unfussy, approachable and let’s be honest, it’s always the perfect cuisine for a party or good time.
So what’s the the perfect recipe for a party or good time? These carne asada tacos! They’re so easy to make with my citrus-y grilled carne asada. Just toss the meat on the grill, chop it up, pile it in a tortilla, and add a few toppings like my best ever guacamole!
Carne Asada Tacos Ingredients
All you need is a handful of ingredients for this recipe and ideally a hot outdoor grill. Though an indoor grill pan works just fine for the carne asada as well!
- Carne Asada: I typically use flank steak when making carne asada, but skirt steak works as well. Make sure to read my carne asada recipe for tips and specifics on grilling the perfect steak!
- Avocado: I smashed plain avocado into the tortilla, but you could use guacamole as well.
- Onion: Diced yellow, white, or red onions will work.
- Lime: A squeeze of fresh lime juice is a must!
- Cilantro: You can never go wrong with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
- Cheese: Cotija cheese is always my go-to for Mexican tacos.
- Tortillas: I love to make my cassava flour tortillas, but any will do!
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Carne Asada Tacos
Once you’ve grilled your steak, let the fun begin! Just grab a tortilla and slather it with some avocado. No need for perfect avocado slices (carne asada tacos are not trying to be fancy). Just use a spoon to mash up the avocado and slather it on, as I show you in the video below.
Then, add a good helping of chopped carne asada, a sprinkle of cotija or queso fresco cheese, chopped onion and fresh cilantro. Squeeze some fresh lime on top and there you have it – perfect carne asada tacos!
Taco Topping Ideas
Besides the essentials listed above, there’s always room to jazz up your tacos. Here’s a few ways to do it:
- Fresh Sauces: Dollop some chunky pico de gallo or drizzle a little homemade salsa. For a creamy touch, you can add my zesty lime crema or spicy chipotle sauce.
- Cheeses: I love to use cotija cheese for tacos, but queso fresco or any Mexican blend will work.
- Fresh Veggies: Thinly slice some radish for an extra fresh crunch.
Want More Taco Recipes?
I adore Mexican recipes, but tacos really are my love language. So I’ve got plenty for you to choose from!
Carne Asada Tacos Recipe Video
While it’s easy to assemble these delicious tacos, it always helps to watch a quick step-by-step video. Give it a watch below!
If you make these carne asada tacos, let me know how they turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Carne Asada Tacos
These carne asada tacos are the best steak tacos and bursting with flavor. They’re perfect for outdoor grilling, parties or even your next Taco Tuesday. Watch the video above to see how quickly they come together!
Grill the carne asada until it’s cooked to your preference. Slice it against the grain, then chop it into small pieces.
Use a spoon to mash the avocado and spread a large spoonful or two onto each tortilla. Then, top the avocado with chopped carne asada, a sprinkle of cotija cheese, some diced onion and fresh cilantro. Squeeze fresh lime juice on top.
Calories: 514.9kcal, Carbohydrates: 26.3g, Protein: 35.4g, Fat: 30.7g, Saturated Fat: 9.3g, Cholesterol: 98.3mg, Sodium: 201.9mg, Fiber: 5.6g, Sugar: 0.9g
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe originally posted April 2018, but recently updated.