These shrimp tacos are a flavor explosion! They strike the perfect balance between spicy shrimp, crisp and tangy slaw, and creamy avocado. With so much flavor, I guarantee you’ll make this shrimp taco recipe again and again!
Are you ready for the best shrimp tacos ever? You know I’m a fan of shrimp recipes, but I’ll be honest, these shrimp tacos might just be my favorite. They satisfy my cravings for spicy Mexican flavors, are approachable enough for an easy weeknight dinner, and will hit the spot as a crowd pleaser. I’d say that’s an unbeatable combo!
Just season your shrimp, give them a quick saute, and whip up a mouthwatering cilantro lime bacon coleslaw. A drizzle of lime crema takes them over the top for a seriously delicious taco. And if you’re thinking about a full fiesta spread, keep reading for delicious Mexican recipes to add to the table (yes, that includes my best ever guacamole of course).
Shrimp Taco Ingredients
There’s really two components to this recipe – the seasoned shrimp, and the slaw. Those two items then get piled into warmed tortillas, along with avocado slices, my favorite lime crema, and an extra squeeze of lime juice!
- Shrimp: I prefer large or jumbo shrimp for this recipes, but really, any size will work. You can check also out my garlic grilled shrimp skewer recipe for tons of tips on how to shop for shrimp.
- Seasoning: All you need is chipotle powder, cumin powder, salt, and pepper for spicy shrimp with a kick!
- Olive Oil: Just a little bit helps the seasoning stick to the shrimp.
Cilantro Lime Bacon Slaw
- Bacon: Just follow my oven baked bacon recipe for easy, crispy bacon.
- Green Cabbage: Green or red cabbage will work!
- Cilantro Leaves: Cilantro make for the perfect pairing with lime.
- Olive Oil & Lime Juice: Brings this slaw to life with fresh, zesty flavor!
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Shrimp Tacos
All it takes is a little prep work and some quick (really quick) cooking. Here’s what to do:
- Cook the bacon. Lay the bacon on a sheet pan and pop it in the oven at 400F for 18-20 min.
- Make the slaw. While the bacon is cooking, thinly slice the cabbage and add it to a mixing bowl, along with the chopped cilantro. Once the bacon is cooked and cooled, crumble that into the bowl along with the olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper, and stir it all together.
- Prep the shrimp. In a separate mixing bowl, add the shrimp, olive oil and spices, and toss together.
- Cook the shrimp. Heat a sauté pan on medium heat and cook the shrimp for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. You can also grill the shrimp for extra char!
- Assembly time. Assemble the tacos by adding a spoonful of slaw to a tortilla, topping with several pieces of shrimp, a few slices of avocado, and if you’d like, a drizzle of lime crema.
What to Serve with Shrimp Tacos
While these tacos are delicious on their own, it doesn’t hurt to add a few additional sides. Round out your Mexican meal with:
How to Store and Reheat
Let’s be honest, these shrimp tacos are best fresh and there’s rarely leftovers. But if you do happen to have some, you can store the shrimp in the fridge for up to 3 days. And you can store the slaw separately for 3-5 days in the fridge.
To reheat, simply heat the shrimp up in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and assemble your tacos.
More Easy Shrimp Recipes
When it comes to light, fresh, and healthy meals, I can always count on shrimp to check the boxes. Here’s a few weeknight favorites to try!
Shrimp Tacos Recipe Video
Watch how I make this recipe step-by-step in the video below!
If you make these shrimp tacos, let me know how they turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Bacon Slaw
These shrimp tacos are a flavor explosion! They strike the perfect balance between spicy shrimp, crisp and slaw, and creamy avocado. I guarantee you’ll make this shrimp taco recipe again and again!
To Assemble & Garnish
Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the bacon on top. Cook the bacon for 18-20 minutes, or until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to dry, then crumble into pieces.
In a large mixing bowl, add the cabbage, crumbled bacon, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the raw shrimp, chipotle powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and olive oil, until well coated.
Heat a sauté pan on medium heat and cook the shrimp for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Alternatively, you can grill the shrimp.
Assemble the tacos by adding several pieces of shrimp and topping with a spoonful of slaw, a few slices of avocado, and a drizzle of lime crema.
Calories: 378kcal, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 19g, Fat: 25g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 162mg, Sodium: 845mg, Potassium: 350mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 386IU, Vitamin C: 18mg, Calcium: 135mg, Iron: 3mg
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Recipe originally posted September 2016, but updated to include new information.