This Mediterranean ground beef stir fry is what a quick and healthy dinner is all about! It’s loaded with savory veggies, classic coastal seasonings, and packs in a ton of flavor without the need for a sauce.
I hummed and hawed on what to call this recipe as ground beef is not typically what you’d consider mediterranean food. But the blistered tomatoes, bell pepper, baby spinach, green onion, and garlic are most definitely Mediterranean in nature. So consider it a healthier, veggie-packed ground beef stir fry that’s light in flavor. A divergence from your typical Asian chicken stir fry flavors, yet delicious in a whole new way!
And speaking of flavors and sauces, there’s actually no sauce in this recipe. Once the tomatoes break down they become oozy and liquidy, and that melds with the garlic and oregano and douses the rest of the ingredients in garlicky, Mediterranean goodness. You’re gonna love it.
What’s In This Mediterranean Stir Fry?
From the blistered tomatoes to bell pepper and oregano, this non traditional stir fry is made from the best Mediterranean ingredients.
- Bell Pepper: Red bell pepper is ideal for its natural sweetness and vibrant red color, but any color works!
- Cherry Tomatoes: Grape tomatoes can be a substitution, but cherry tomatoes are ideal here since they’re much juicier and blister beautifully in a pan.
- Baby Spinach: It’s amazing how much a small tub of spinach wilts down, so while it may look like a lot, trust me, it’s not too much.
- Garlic and Green Onion: Essential alliums give the recipe a punch of fresh flavor.
- Ground Beef: You’ll need one pound for this recipe. But if you’re not a fan of beef, you can also use ground chicken or turkey.
- Oregano: Can’t do a savory Mediterranean dish without oregano!
- Crumbled Feta: This can be optional if you’re dairy-free. Otherwise, the crumbled feta really adds a delicious Mediterranean flair.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
Let’s Make The Best Stir Fry Recipe!
What I love about stir fries is that they’re SO easy to make, yet just as flavorful as a recipe that takes hours. So grab a large pan and let’s get cooking.
- Saute the tomatoes and bell pepper. Heat the oil in a large pan, then saute the bell pepper and cherry tomatoes for 4 to 5 minutes, until the tomatoes are blistered. Then add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Cook the spinach and green onion. Add the spinach and white parts of the green onion. Then stir for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the spinach has wilted. Remove these veggies to a plate.
- Cook the ground beef. Add the beef, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pan, and use a spatula to break up the meat. When it’s browned, drain off any excess liquid.
- Combine everything together! Transfer the veggies back to the pan, add the green parts of the green onion, and stir everything together. Then garnish with crumbled feta before serving it up.
Ways To Serve This Mediterranean Ground Beef Stir Fry
Honestly, I can just eat this as is with a sprinkle of feta because it’s that good. But if you want to make it a well rounded meal, here’s a few other fun ways to serve it.
- Serve over a bed of rice or lentils for an extra filling meal.
- Use this as a filling for a butter leaf lettuce wrap (great for a low-carb option!).
- For all my egg lovers, top a plate of this with a fried egg or poached egg.
How To Store Leftovers
This dish makes for great leftovers and meal prep for the week!
- To store: This will keep for up to 4 to 5 days in the fridge in a sealed container. Just make sure to let it cool before closing the lid.
- To freeze: Alternatively, you can freeze this for up to 3 months.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes
From stuffed peppers to a big pot of chili, here’s a few comfort food favorites.
If you make this ground beef stir fry, let me know how it turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Ground Beef Stir Fry
This easy and healthy ground beef stir fry recipe is loaded with the best of Mediterranean flavors. From blistered tomatoes to crumbled feta, an easy dinner doesn’t get any better than this!
Heat the oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cherry tomatoes and saute for 4-5 minutes, until the tomatoes are blistered, and saucy. Add the garlic and stir another minute.
Add the spinach and white parts of the green onion. Note that the spinach will take up most of the pan, but it will wilt down. Stir for another 2-3 minutes, until the spinach has wilted. Remove these veggies to a plate.
Add the ground beef, oregano, salt, and pepper to the pan, and use a spatula to break up the meat. Cook the ground beef until it’s browned, then drain off any excess grease.
Transfer the veggies back to the pan, add the green parts of the green onion, and stir until warmed through. Garnish with crumbled feta before serving.
Calories: 304kcal, Carbohydrates: 11g, Protein: 27g, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 81mg, Sodium: 230mg, Potassium: 1038mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 6927IU, Vitamin C: 83mg, Calcium: 141mg, Iron: 5mg
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.