These chocolate crunch bars are a dreamy pairing of chocolatey goodness and crispy puffed rice. Bonus – they’re a healthier take on everyone’s favorite candy bar!
My love for chocolate runs deep, even for those nostalgic candy bars I crave from time to time. But for an option that’s a bit healthier, these 2-ingredient, homemade chocolate crunch bars are it! And I gotta say, they’re crazy good. If not, better than the packaged version.
Instead of using rice krispies (which are smaller and contain sugar and sometimes sneaky gluten), I’m using plain puffed rice so the chocolate bars aren’t overly sweet. But they still have that delicious crunch to them! Plus, I can’t get over the fact that this treat is so darn easy to make with minimal ingredients. Now that’s a sweet dessert I can always get behind!
Chocolate Crunch Bar Ingredients
The best part about these chocolate crunch bars is that you only need two ingredients – that’s it!
- Chocolate Chips: I love to use Pascha Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, but feel free to use milk chocolate or dark chocolate as well – whichever is your favorite!
- Puffed Rice: Either puffed rice or puffed quinoa work in this recipe. They both have that larger shape and perfect crunch.
Find the printable recipe with measurements below.
Let’s Make The Best Crunch Bars
Ideally, you want an 8½ x 4½-inch loaf pan for this recipe. It’ll help create the perfect shape for grab-n-go bars.
- Line your pan. Make sure to use enough parchment paper so that it covers the sides and lifts out a bit.
- Make the chocolate mixture. Melt the chocolate either in a heatproof bowl over simmering water or in the microwave in 20-second increments.
- Pour and refrigerate. Stir the puffed rice into the melted chocolate, pour into the loaf pan, then refrigerate for 30 minutes, until the chocolate is firm and set.
- Slice it up! Pull the chocolate from the loaf pan and use a warm knife to slice into bars.
Keep in mind these bars can melt a bit if it happens to be a hot day, similar to any regular chocolate bar. So it’s best to keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy.
- To store: Place them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Make sure to place parchment paper in between each bar before storing in a freezer-safe container. They’ll keep for up to 3 months.
More Easy Chocolate Recipes
It never hurts to have several easy peasy chocolate recipes on hand!
If you make these chocolate crunch bars, let me know how they turned out! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Chocolate Crunch Bars
These chocolate crunch bars are a dreamy pairing of chocolatey goodness and crispy puffed rice. Bonus – it’s a healthier take on the classic candy bar!
Puffed Rice: I had a hard time finding puffed rice in my local market that wasn’t part of a cereal with other flavors and sweeteners. So I bought this puffed rice online and it was perfect!
Calories: 141kcal, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 1g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 4mg, Sodium: 18mg, Potassium: 2mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 17g, Vitamin A: 60IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 31mg, Iron: 1mg
©Downshiftology. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.